By Dr. Michelle P. Maidenberg
A. Research college/university
- Programs – majors
- Size of the schools
- Student body
B. Questions asked by the interviewer
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why are you interested in our college?
- What can I tell you about our college?
- Who in your life has most influenced you? Why?
- If you had the opportunity to have dinner with three people who would you choose? Why?
- What do you think you want to major in? Why?
- What will you contribute to our campus community?
- Tell me about a challenge that you overcame.
- What do you do for fun — in your free time? Do you have any hobbies?
- What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?
- Please tell me about your high school experience?
- What high school experience was most important to you?
- What subject in high school did you find the most challenging?
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- What is your favorite movie? Why?
- What did you do this summer?
- What do you hope to do after graduation?
- Why do you want to go to college?
- How do you define success?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- What do you do best?
- What 3 adjectives best describe you?
- Tell me about your community service.
- If you had $1000 to give away, what would you do with it?
- Who most helped you get to where you are today?
- In college, what do you plan to do outside of the classroom?
- What is the most memorable trip you’ve taken?
- Where would you like to travel to the most? Why?
- In your view, what are the positive aspects of your generation and what are its negative qualities?
C. Review essay and application
D. Prepare questions to ask interviewer
A list of questions can be found on the SUNY website – office of Access Services – adapted from “Choices.”